Saturday 14 April 2012

M Is For...Movies On DVD

The thirteenth post for the A-to-Z Blogging Challenge, M Is For... Movies On DVD:

Movies that aren't out on DVD, specifically movies that aren't out on DVD in Region 2. When DVDs were first made commercially available they divided the world into eight regions, in order to charge different prices in different regions according to what people are willing to pay and differing copyright laws around the world.

Broadly speaking Region 1 is North America, Region 2 is Europe, Region 3 is Southeast Asia, Region 4 is South & Central America, the Caribbean and Australasia, Region 5 is Africa, Central and South Asia, Region 6 is China, Region 7 is not-for-release preview discs and Region 8 is aircraft and cruise ships.

It's annoying when things are released in one region and not another. Selfishly, it's even more annoying when the region left out is Region 2. I wrote a couple of Please Release Me posts listing things that I'd love to see released on DVD. And so here's:

Please Release Me DVD #3
Movies as yet unreleased on Region 2 DVD:

Time After Time
Pitting Malcolm McDowell as H.G. Wells against David Warner as Jack the Ripper, Nicholas Meyer's debut as writer and director is a film no one seems to have a bad thing to say about and yet it remains stubbornly unavailable in the UK. I really want to see this.


- - - - -

The Impostors (1998), Don't Drink The Water (1969) & Don't Drink The Water (1994)
Opinion is divided as to the merits of these three films, but I'm a massive Woody Allen fan so it's frustrating that none of them are available of Region 2. This seems all the stranger since there are two versions of Don't Drink The Water. It borders on censorship.


- - - - -

Serenity, Special Edition
It's a common practice to double dip, but I loved Firefly and Serenity so much that I'd definitely go back to the well. When the latter was released in a special edition festooned with more extras, the geek in me eagerly awaited a Region 2 release, but alas it was not to be. There doesn't seem to be any logic to what does and what doesn't get the special edition treatment in the UK, but this is a more common practice in Region 1. Don't even get me started on The Criterion Collection....


Is there anything that you'd love to see released on DVD?

11 comments:

Michelle aka Naila Moon said...

Here from A-Z.
Movies are on my mind tomorrow. I do not think I have heard any of these movie. I suppose I will have to check them out!
~Naila Moon

http://yaknowstuff.blogspot.com/2012/04/l.html

Nigel G Mitchell said...

That's interesting. I didn't know about the regions. That does stink to have movies out on DVD that you can't get because of where you live.

Jenny said...

Oh, I remember seeing Time After Time a long time ago. I'm not sure if it's available on DVD in the states.

DL Hammons said...

I was thinking about Time After Time just the other day. I really liked that movie and I haven't seen that even in Region 1. ??

Alex J. Cavanaugh said...

You didn't get Serenity? That is just wrong!!

Dave said...

Naila Moon, I'll have to check your site tomorrow. I can recommend Serenity, but as I say I haven't been able to see any of the others yet.

Nigel Mitchell, I'm sure it works both ways as well.

Jenny, was it good?

DL Hammons, I think Time After Time must be out on Region 1 DVD, because there are expensive NTSC imports on the UK Amazon site. I'm glad you liked it. I'll see it eventually.

Alex, well no, we did get Serenity and although it had some extra, it just wasn't the special edition with geeky extras galore that was released in Region 1. I know there are bigger fish to fry.

Brendan Carroll said...

Very interesting. I only just heard of Global Regionality the other day in reference to FEMA in the USA. Didn't know there were DVD release regions as well. Thanks for filling us in.

Dave said...

Brendan, I didn't realise regionality was a facet of FEMA. Thanks.

Claire Hennessy said...

I have the opposite problem in that I want to see excellent British comedies/dramas etc and they are not released in Region 1. Annoying isn't it. Nice to meet you in this A-Z and new follower.

Claire Hennessy said...

I have the opposite problem in that I want to see excellent British comedies/dramas etc and they are not released in Region 1. Annoying isn't it. Nice to meet you in this A-Z and new follower.

Dave said...

Claire, what have you struggled to find released in Region 1?