Monday 2 April 2012

B Is For...Blogging

My second post for the A-to-Z Blogging Challenge, B is for...Blogging:

I have a blog. I'm blogging it now. I blog.

The A-to-Z Blogging Challenge has made me think about blogging itself. I don't particularly like the word. Sometimes I feel silly saying it out loud. I get that Weblog became We Blog and thus blogging as a verb was born. I'm not suggesting that we need a new word, but instead that maybe I need to find a new way of saying it.

I try to keep this blog up to date and maybe I take it a little too seriously, but I have found myself posting to something of a formula in order to keep up the number of posts. In an average month I will probably post ten times and within that there will most likely be an acting post about a show from my past, an example of something I've written, a post with some photos that I took for another blog, a video from a Pulp gig and a These Are A Few Of My Favourite Things post about my favourite things from a particular year. A lot of people have been discussing the themes they are writing about for the A-to-Z Blogging Challenge and I suppose that is my theme. The sorts of things I already write about, but more so.

Ideally it'll also be crammed full of posts about what I doing in the present. The almost Catch 22 situation is that the busier I am the less time I have to write this blog, while in quieter times the less I have to actually write about.

One of the things I've been wondering about recently is whether I spend too much time blogging. I realise that maybe the beginning of a month in which I am going to try to post more frequently than ever before is possibly not the best time to consider this. I started this blog in order to showcase writing and it seems as though blogging has taken over.

One thing is certain however and that is that more bloggers will visit me this month than ever before and so I have a question for you all:

Does any of this ramble seem familiar, and what do you do to avoid blog stagnation?

18 comments:

Unknown said...

My cabin fever serves as inspiration to get out and do things. Thus, I have material to blog about. And my incestuous relationship with my camera serves to always provide me with something to blog about. I do however find reason with you - the more I do, the more I have to blog about, but no time to put it in words, and the more time I have to blog, the less I have to say. But ramble? Be it not ramble! Ramble is my life. And be it GOOD! :)

Alex J. Cavanaugh said...

I guarantee you don't take as much time as I do with blogging! Wouldn't worry about it too much.

Youngman Brown said...

I agree with most of the things you say in this post. It is funny, though. That is the reason I decided not to do the A-Z challenge.

Well, sorta.

But either way, the A-Z challenge is the way I found your blog, even though I am not participating in it!

Kayla Yow said...

I believe all bloggers feel this way at some point in time. {I know I have!} I think it is just part of the process - it is wired in our brains to think this way. Are we spending too much time doing something, or maybe not enough time? Personally, I enjoy blogging, and I believe you should do what you enjoy, so I do spend a lot of time with my blog!

A Daft Scots Lass said...

I've had my blog for over four years and I've never run out of things to say and do...

Dave said...

Jenette or more commonly known as "j", I suppose the other dilemma is: do you things to write about them, or to experience them?

Alex, the sheer amount of admin that organising your ninja army must create. The training, the washing of uniforms, informing next-of-kin...

Youngman Brown, thanks and thanks for dropping by anyway

Kayla, thanks. I'm glad you enjoy it.

Gillian, that isn't quite what I meant.

Ginny said...

You can never spend too much time blogging.

I think I blog a lot because in general I talk a lot. I can always find something to say but the main thing for me is not to force it. I also don't spend too much time re-editing posts. I type it up as the thoughts come, spell check and then send it to the interwebs.

Lisa said...

We spent too much time blogging. No doubt :)

Hi, nice to meet you.

Gregg Metcalf said...

Excellent post. Blogging can be overwhelming if one allows it to be. Right now it is my outlet for teaching and I spend quite a bit of time trying to make a first class blog and post things that are beneficial to people. Glad to read your post today!
Gregg Metcalf

Marie Anne said...

Familiar? I could have written it myself!

Stopping by from the A-Z Challenge, blogging at Ross County Roundup and Write, Wrong or Indifferent.

Tasha Seegmiller said...

I blog when my kids are doing homework, dinner is cooking, laundry, whatever because I don't have to have a full hour or two of time. I sneak in a few blogs here and there throughout the day, and only blog on MWF unless a challenge indicates differently. Once it's a habit, it just fits in and works.

Good luck!

Dave said...

Ginny, never?

Oceangirl, no doubt. Nice to meet you too.

Gregg, thank you.

Marie Anne, I'm glad it's not just me.

nutschell said...

Blogging is fun. I thought I'd run out of things to say when I first started, but I'm still going!
Great A-Z post!
Nutschell
www.thewritingnut.com

Golden Eagle said...

It certainly seems familiar to me. I try to post stuff from around the web (videos, links, etc.) if I can't think of any content.


The Golden Eagle
The Eagle's Aerial Perspective

Patty said...

I don't like the word "blog" either. Something about it reminds me of throwing up in my mouth.
I think all (plug your ears) bloggers... hit blog stagnation.

Dave said...

Tasha, sneaky blogging sounds good. I like a bit of subterfuge.

Nutschell, I'm glad to hear it

The Golden Eagle, I think a bit of cross-pollination livens up a blog.

Patty, I'm glad it's not just me.

Susan Gourley/Kelley said...

I think if you mention helpful links or give advice or even ask questions just like you did that inspire thought, you will keep people interested in your blog.
Blogging is a strange word.

Dave said...

Susan Gourley/Kelley, thank you for reading.