Sunday 6 May 2012

A-To-Z Reflections

Here's my reflections post for the A-to-Z Blogging Challenge:

So that's that. The dust has settled. The quick brown fox has jumped over the lazy dog.

This month I learned that:

People were very supportive of my career choice, I'm not the only one who fears blog stagnation, there are Browncoats everywhere, people were very supportive of my most recent career development, maybe etc means more than we think, free is relative term, that my girlfriend isn't as thrilled about my photo choices as I am, Pulp are as great as ever, people were very supportive of my drawing, you can write a piece all about conversation that contains no dialogue, it doesn't matter that kommand is not real word, awards are better when people have invested an interest by nominating an eventual winner, not everyone is as obsessed with film DVDs as I am, my memories and reviews of a seven year old play are possibly not a good A-to-Z post, red soup with couscous is lovely and Thai green curry pizza is not, smutty photography is funny, nobody answered questions 2, 3, 5, 6, 8, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 16, 22, 23, 24, 25 or 26 correctly, I'm not the only person who likes rhinos, 1995 is longer ago than I would like to admit, not everyone is as obsessed with TV DVDs as I am, a semi-identified UFO is a SIFO, Vegetarians sometimes fear meat and meat eaters sometimes fear vegetarians, there's no wrong reason to write, there are Browncoats absolutely everywhere, I'm coming to visit you, the answers to the quiz...

I wrote 26 posts, which got 210 comments and I'm very grateful for the time people took to make them. I also got 47 spam comments. My favourites of which were the rather prosaic "The mistake can here?" or "Today is good poorly, isn't it?" The rest were a mix of gibberish and dodgy links. I think it's time to turn word verification back on...

Would I do it again next year? Absolutely.

Would I have an overarching theme to tie all my posts together? Probably.

12 comments:

Alex J. Cavanaugh said...

Glad you had a great time with the Challenge! Sorry about all the spam. I think I only received one.

Mina Lobo said...

I know the answer to #26 is Zoidberg! :-)

Some Dark Romantic

RHYTHM AND RHYME said...

Lovely to meet someone from London I am at Bournemouth.

Pleased you enjoyed the challenge and would do it again next year.
Not so good about the spam though.
Good Luck
Yvonne.

Arlee Bird said...

Good job of tying things all together. Thanks for being a part of all of this.


Lee
An A to Z Co-Host
Tossing It Out

Unknown said...

Glad you intend to do this again next year---I didn't get any spam, but I can understand your irritation when you did. Try turning on the comment moderation instead :)

Damyanti
#atozchallenge co-host 2012

Kela McClelland said...

I missed your blog during the challenge so I'm going to have a look around. Glad to meet you. Sorry about the spam. I got some, but none on my challenge posts, weird. But none of the spam mattered because it was filtered out and never actually showed up on the posts (at least I don't think it did). Anyway, glad you liked the challenge and will do it again next year. I had fun too.

Have a great day :)

Dave said...

Alex, I don't want to make the spam like it was a problem. It wasn't.

Mina Lobo, correct!

Yvonne, I hope you enjoyed the challenge too.

Arlee Bird, thank you for organising all of this.

Damyanti, maybe I'll switch to comment moderation, but I like the idea that people can comment and converse on here without needing me and then I can join in a discussion when I get a chance.

Kela, my filter caught the spam so it wasn't too big a deal. I'm glad you had fun too.

Jeremy, thanks. So did you.

EvalinaMaria, I hope so too.

troghead said...

Nice reflection, and I note spam protection is back on. Glad you got through, and glad you want to do it again. Although I constantly moaned about it I will do it again too. I managed to avoid the spam though.

Dave said...

Thanks. I've sought protection from spam once more, because I don't want any more herbal remedies or celebrity sex tapes. You moaned spectacularly.

Anonymous said...

A very shiny post! :) I love the lessons you learned, and I'm just sorry I didn't get to your blog during the challenge. Will have to rectify that!

My favorite spam comment said they "look forward to the next put-up and hope to dangle". My second favorite told me how much my blog sucks, but they can help make it better. :)

~Lynn

a.eye said...

Your spam comments are hilarious!

Congrats on finishing the challenge.

Dave said...

Lynn, thank you very much. You have to wonder what's in it for the spammers. If you click on a link maybe they make money somehow, but just perplexing us with non sequiturs?

a.eye, thanks. I'm thinking of publishing them.