Friday 2 November 2012

There's Tidy

What do you think of the new look? It's very closely modelled on the old look.

I've had a bit of a spring clean. I know it's not spring or any cleaner, but I decided to have a bit of a change to the look of the place. I've changed the blogger template I was using and moved the furniture around a bit, so to speak. Mostly because I was getting really sick of re-sizing pictures all the time.

As a result I think it looks a bit more spacious here, but I'm aware that much of the pagination under the old template will now probably have jumped about and look even more slapdash than usual. I'll work my way through the older posts to try and tidy them up.

Tidy is a strange word which has two particular connotations for me. Tidy in Wales means something is great, but also genuine. To do a tidy job means to do it properly, while the phrase "There's tidy" means "that's great" with a real sense of satisfaction. It's unlikely you would use it in relation to tidying.

The other thing that always springs to mind are Stoppit and Tidyup from the cartoon Stoppit and Tidyup. All the characters are named after phrases that children get overly used to hearing: Eat Your Greens, Wash Your Face, Go And Play, I Said No, Don't Do That, Clean Your Teeth, etc. The nature of the show meant that whilst reinforcing the message it also subverted the phrases in question and almost nothing made me laugh more than my mother saying "Go And Play" or "I Said No". I absolutely loved this TV show as a child and it was with a little trepidation that I watched it again as an adult and it was absolutely as good as I remembered.


It was proper tidy.

2 comments:

Alex J. Cavanaugh said...

Never heard of that cartoon!
Sometimes simple is better.

Dave said...

Agreed.