Wednesday 4 March 2020

Insecure Writer's Support Group #3

Another month, another Insecure Writers Support Group.

This month's support group is co-hosted by Jacqui Murray, Lisa Buie-Collard, Sarah Foster, Natalie Aguirre and Shannon Lawrence. A big thank you to them.

Since last month's post, writing really has taken a back seat. Between work and childcare and trying to get more work there hasn't been time for more than a couple of sentences here and there. The strangest thing is that whilst I haven't had time to commit anything to paper, I've been absolutely brimming with ideas.

Isn't that weird?

This month's (optional) question is: "Other than the obvious holiday traditions, have you ever included any personal or family traditions/customs in your stories?"

Not really. I once wrote a sketch about Scrooge and Marley from A Christmas Carol quibbling over the details of the ghostly night ahead.

MARLEY
Believe in me or not, it changes nothing. You will be visited by three spirits.

SCROOGE
Oh, let me get a pen.

MARLEY
It’s quite simple.

SCROOGE
Just a second. You can never find one when you need it, can you?

MARLEY
Where was I?

SCROOGE
I will be visited-

MARLEY
You will be visited by three spirits.

SCROOGE
(as he writes)
I will be visited by two more spirits.

MARLEY
Expect the first tomor- What? 
SCROOGE
Three excepting yourself leaves two, Jacob, you should know that. Arithmetic was always your strongpoint, in life.


And so on. They treat a supernatural experience with all the reverence of a contractual disagreement. They split hairs, argue and completely squander an opportunity for a reunion. I was quite pleased with it.

8 comments:

Joylene Nowell Butler said...

hahaha. Too funny. That would be me, arguing over semantics.

Damyanti Biswas said...

It isn't weird but I do hope you put them down before they fly away!

Computer Tutor said...

Love that line--"They treat a supernatural experience with all the reverence of a contractual disagreement." Good luck with the job hunting!

Dave said...

Joylene, it's good to know what you're letting yourself in for.

Damyanti, I try.

Jacqui, thank you

Alex J. Cavanaugh said...

That was funny.
Just let those ideas keep coming to you. Better than having none.

emaginette said...

I hope the brimming never stops. :-)

Anna from elements of emaginette

Shannon Lawrence said...

That sounds like a funny piece! Sometimes I get a ton of ideas, but I'm not in the right place for writing. It happens. Do you jot them down?

Allie Bock said...

That's funny!sometimes a break is needed for your creativity!

Www.alliebock.com