Monday 18 March 2013

Top Ten Movie Countdown Blogfest

Alex J. Cavanaugh is asking us to list our top ten favorite movies.


I struggled to limit it to just ten and made a longer list which included Moon, Papillon, Magnolia, Being John Malkovich, Stranger Than Fiction, There Will Be Blood, Aliens, Deconstructing Harry, Brazil among others...

Tommorrow I might have come up with a different list, so let's call this my top ten films of today:

10 - Withnail And I (1987)
An eminently quotable love letter to the end of an era.


9 - Mighty Aphrodite (1995)
Woody Allen's Greek Tragedy is a very funny, very clever and very rewarding watch.



8 - The Sword In The Stone (1963)
This is my absolute favourite animated film.



7 - Cool Hand Luke (1967)
The man the system couldn't break. They don't make anti-establishment films better than this.



6 - Four Lions (2010)
A comedy about suicide bombers could have been a horrific experience, but Four Lions deals with challenging subject matter so well that it's easy to enjoy the comedy on its own merits.



5 - Trainspotting (1996)
This inventive adaptation to a novel I would have presumed unfilmable really does have a lust for life.



4 - Son Of Rambow (2008)
A beautiful film about childhood, innocence and an obsession with a certain supersoldier. I'm always in the mood to watch this.



3 - The Wicker Man (1973)
Brilliantly bleak and your best chance to see Christopher Lee in drag.



2 - The Fisher King (1991)
Terry Gilliam's fairy tale of New York is a fantastic and heartbreaking film.



1 - The Station Agent (2003)
I adore this film.


What are your favourite films?

26 comments:

Alex J. Cavanaugh said...

The Station Agent really surprised me - excellent film.
Thanks for participating in my blogfest!

Shaharizan Perez said...

I remember watching The Sword and the Stone repeatedly as a child. Love it! I'm not familiar with several movies on your list. I will add them to my Netflix queue. :D

Anonymous said...

I'd forgotten about a few of these...nice list! Seriously, I wanted to add Simon Burch to my list over the weekend. My daughter watched it again, and it was such a good movie! Best of Monday to you:)

Kyra Lennon said...

I almost added Trainspotting to my list! It would definitely make my Top 20!

Maurice Mitchell said...

The Fisher King is really underrated Dave. It's one of Robin Williams best dramedy performances.

Dave said...

Alex, thank you for hosting it.

Shaharizan, I hope you like them.

M. J., I'm not familiar with Simon Burch. I'll look into it.

Kyra, a Top 20 might have been easier.

Isis Rushdan said...

Loved The Sword and the Stone.

Very interesting choices.

D.G. Hudson said...

You have some interesting films I haven't seen before on your list. Thanks for introducing me to them.

The Sword and the Stone, I have seen and love. King Arthur legends always interest me, even animated ones. The Fisher King I must have missed along the way. . .

nutschell said...

I have never seen any of these movies. Gosh! I'm missing out!
Nutschell
www.thewritingnut.com

Tony Laplume said...

Trainspotting becomes ironic the more Ewan sticks in the mainstream in his newer films.

jaybird said...

I loved the Sword and the Stone. The Fisher King was a movie people either loved or hated. I happened to love it!

Nick Wilford said...

Great list! I don't know The Station Agent, as it's your number one you've piqued my interest.

Unknown said...

top notch... i cannot remember the last time i had seen "withnail and i" and the sadness of "fisher king"... and the "wickerman"... always keeping me out...

M.J. Fifield said...

I'm ashamed to admit I haven't seen 90% of these films. I keep meaning to and then get distracted by The Avengers again.

But I have seen The Sword in the Stone and can sing all the songs from it.

Anonymous said...

There are some interesting picks on your list. Some I need to check out. I couldn't decide which Woody Allen movie to pick, so I didn't. Might Aphrodite was a great movie.

Nicole said...

The Station Agent is on my Netflix queue, coming one of these days. With that exception of that one and addition to Trainspotting, I'm not quite familiar with the rest of the films on your list...but I am curious about watching The Fisher King :)

~Nicole

LynnRush said...

I'm so lame. I've not seen ANY of these. LOL!!! :)

David P. King said...

Son of Rambo was such a refreshing film. Glad to see it made it on your list. :)

Unknown said...

Never heard of the station agent. Will need to check it out.

Chippy said...

The Sword In The Stone is on my list too - easily my favourite Disney film ever! :)

Chippy

kjmckendry said...

I loved the Sword in the Stone. The others I haven't seen but they sound great.

Trisha said...

Pretty sure I haven't seen most of these. I did see TRAINSPOTTING and thought it was a great film but never want to see it again - too depressing.

Anonymous said...

I haven't seen most of the movies on your list, but I have recently watched Trainspotting. It was brutal but good.

Rhonda Albom said...

Funny thing, you mentioned the only Robin Williams movie I don't really like all that much.
Rhonda
Laugh-Quotes.com

Printed Portal said...

I have not seen many of these - more to add to my "to watch" list - thanks for sharing.

Tammy Theriault said...

trainspotting!!! yes!! your movies are a great variety! new follower from the blog hop! hi