Thursday 18 February 2010

A Runner's Code Of Conduct

OK, first up I'll admit that I'm new at this running lark and maybe it's just that the novelty has yet to wear off, but so far in my experience runners are rude.

I imagined that when people out for a run passed one another in the street that they would acknowledge each other in a similiar fashion to those aboard passing narrowboats on a canal might. I was more than a little disappointed to discover that they don't.

I don't really understand why that is. It doesn't matter who you are, from the haughtiest of ultrafit superhumans to the sweatiest most out of breath of the New Year's resolute. We all have the same things to contend with: pedestrians that don't look where they're going, motorists that don't look where we're going, unfortunate lungfuls of car exhaust or secondhand smoke. I assumed that we would rise above it all, together.

So I'm proposing a sort of a code of conduct for runners.

1) Acknowledge each other. It doesn't have to be much, a simple nod or a smile will suffice.

2) Make way for pedestrians. I don't care if it puts you off your stride, let them through.

3) Stick to the pavements wherever you can.

4) Wear bright clothing in case you can't.

5) Eat. Not during admittedly, but an empty stomach won't get you very far.

6) Travel light.

7) Run around large groups of people, not through them.

8) Encourage those less fit than you. As a wise man once said: "It's much easier to be fit than get fit". If a sweating struggling slick of someone passes you then they are working harder than you and deserve your respect for making the effort.




Total mileage to date = 41 miles
Total sponsorship to date = £292

2 comments:

CPM said...

Matches are possible?
http://elcorredorestepario.blogspot.com/2011/03/el-toque-en-las-carreras.html#comments

CPM said...

But my code of conduct is about runners in race. However I think I agree with you. I think all is connected with ethic of person, your culture all you learn at school, with your family and ... olimpic spirit (in race) ... in Spain, sometimes when you go runnig and "greet" not all the people "waves back" ... at mountain is normal to greet people even if you do not know.